3.28.2013

Easter Dinner: Strawberry Shortcake with Homemade Whip Cream


So thankful to my sister Maria for sharing her beautiful food (beautiful can totally apply to the word food in this case..) recipes with us and also sharing the cuteness of my adorable goddaughter here..;)
This recipe is one that beats all! View Easter Dinner Part 1 Here and Part 2 Here..


This is my all time favorite dessert and it wouldn't be Easter without strawberries making an appearance. This is another great Kraft spinoff, but with my own homemade whipped cream.

Homemade whipped cream is super easy and it will be hard to go back to the store bought stuff again!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups milk, divided
1/4 cup Sour cream
3 Tbs. Sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose baking mix
1 pkg. (3.4oz) Vanilla Instant Pudding
8 oz Whipped Cream (recipe as follows)
4 cups Sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup sugar

Whipped Cream
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tbs. Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
Beat all ingredients in a chilled small bowl until stiff.


Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.

Beat 1/2 cup of milk, sour cream, and sugar together until well blended. Stir in baking mix JUST until moistened. You don't want to overstir as it will be too tough.  Spray 9 inch round baking pan with cooking spray. With a spatula, spread mixture into the pan. Bake about 12-15 minutes or until goldne brown. Cool 10 mintues and then cool on a wire rack completely.

Meanwhile...
Beat pudding mix and 1/2 cup of milk with wisk for 2 minutes. Stir in 4 oz of whipped cream. Set aside. Toss strawberries with sugar in a separate bowl.

Cut cake horizontally. I use a really sharp long bread knife to get a good clean cut. Place half the stawberries on bottom of cake and top with pudding mixure. Layer the other cake half on top, like a big sandwhich. With a spoon or spatula, spread remaining whipped cream over top of cake and add strawberries for final touch.

This dessert is best when served immediately or keep chilled if making ahead. I usually do everything but the final assembly when making ahead, as the strawberries tend to drizzle and absorb into cake.

It is truly delish!

This is an easy given for the Little Kids...Easter Jello Shapes!

You can find an Easter Jello Mold for fun shapes (found mine at Target). Our mom would make these Jello Easter Egg's each year so of course now I am making them for my own kids. Christiana loved picking out different kinds of colored jello and she helped to make a different color each day.

My Food Philosophy: Because the effort to make good food is a gift to those around me, it's happy memories, togetherness, the living part of life.


29 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I cannot handle how awesome your family is! You all must have the most gorgeous and tasty holidays of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That strawberry shortcake looks delicious! It would be perfect for Easter. Thanks to you (and your sister) for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything above looks amazingly yummy. even the jello! :)
    kw ladies in navy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I was considering making a berry shortcake from the Pioneer Woman, but now I am torn : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love strawberry shortcake! Looks delis!!

    xo Mandy @ Waiting On Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh thank you for the Strawberry Shortcake recipe! Looks delish!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so yummy and makes me want it to be summer even more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE strawberry shortcake - so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake is actually stunning! Makes tummy grumble :)
    Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

    http://withlov32012.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake looks amazing!!! I'm making it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks ridiculously good, must make this!

    xo Jessica
    www.mystylevita.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm I love strawberry shortcake! Can't wait to try out this recipe, thanks for sharing!
    Nicole
    www.younglovestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh. Yum! I actually make a crepe recipe that is similar to the strawberry shortcake recipe...so delicious. I'm going to post it after Easter. :) So excited for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes. Thank you. Baby Henry lovvves him some Strawberry Shortcake. ;) Happy Easter to you and your beautiful family, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUM! Love your sweet assistant ;) and the graphic!..the graphic designer in me picks things up. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great dessert recipe , those jello treats must be so yummy but more importantly how cute is your goddaughter ! hope you have a beautiful Easter weekend .

    xo Meg<3

    ReplyDelete
  18. The perfect desserts for adults AND kids- wow, those jello shapes might be the coolest idea ever, and the cake looks gorgeous!

    Some Snapshots Blog
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my favorite desserts! Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, that strawberry shortcake looks divine! I am gonna have to try it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I could totally make this! Which makes it even better. (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for doing this series. I had the salad recipe and the strawberry shortcake on our Easter dinner table today! Sometimes it's just nice and easy to find a couple of recipes in one place that you trust, and go with them! Definitely both delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yum!! I love strawberry shortcake! Must try asap

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from each of you. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! <3

 
Pin It button on image hover