9.28.2012

Up-cycle Your Cardigans: 3 Easy DIY's


I happened upon a $1 rack of cardigans at H&M last fall....right place, right time. I grabbed a bunch, gave some to my sisters, and kept the basic colors. I realized I had not really worn them however, and I knew it was because they just needed a little more pizzaz to catch my interest on the go. So, resourcing that same scrap pile of leather swatches and trims, I decided to re-vamp, and now they are all competing for my attention.  It just takes a little here and there to make it a new fun piece. Two of these are no-sew too! Not much instructions needed for these - mainly inspiration to get creative with what you have:)



1) DIY Shoulder Patch Cardigan - Up-cycle inspired by  this lovely number from Emerson Fry's fall collection. 

Materials:
Cardigan
Suede or faux leather fabric (I used a soft cotton suede)
Needle and Thread

Instructions: Measure the length of the shoulder hem with your cardigan on (since it stretches when it is worn). Also make sure it is pre-shrunk or hang dry only. You can hand stitch or sew. As you sew or stitch pull the fabric slightly with you as you go so that it is sewn at the stretched length. Trim the ends at an angle if needed.  If you use a thick fabric use a thick needle. You will want to match your thread to your fabric. 


2) Heart Patch Pocket Cardigan 

Materials:
Any color Cardigan (Pockets preferred) - (similar here or here)
Leather or faux leather fabric 
Tip: check your local inter design stores for any fabric books they are getting rid of!
Fabric glue 

Instructions. Measure out your heart so that the top middle part lines the width of the top of your pocket.  You want it to be high enough that it won't flop over. Cut, trace, and duplicate a second heart.
Glue only the area of the heart that will overlap the pocket. Pretty simple:)
The leather fabric I used had a soft suedish backing so it was perfect for fabric glue. Leather backings will not hold and you will need to sew.




3) Sequin Trimmed Pocket Cardigan - This is by far the easiest way to add a little glam.

Materials:
Pocket Cardigan (similar here)
Sequin Trim 
Fabric Glue

Instructions: Simply measure the length of the trim along the pocket, cut, and use fabric glue to secure. Gentle wash and line dry.

Now go through your closets and see what you can do to change up some oldies to make new goodies:) Hope you enjoy!




40 comments:

  1. Wow! This was great! I'm totally inspired to try the same thing! Love all three looks! Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these diys! I just posted about that Emerson Fry sweater yesterday and totally thought about doing the same thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. such creative ideas to recycle- I need to try one of these...I have so many old sweaters I could re-make thanks for posting Anna. I think the glittery pocket one might win :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such creative ideas to recycle- I need to try one of these...I have so many old sweaters I could re-make thanks for posting Anna. I think the glittery pocket one might win :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this idea! I need to try one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that these add a little extra something without making the cardies over the top or not wearable! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them all! Have a great weekend Anna ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these ideas are SO creative!! I just wish I could buy that cute little heart cardigan already made--I have ZERO sewing skills ha. Have a great weekend beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was just thinking this morning that i needed to do something with my sad cardigans that i NEVER wear anymore.

    that heart pocket is so darn cute. i may have to test my not-so-great sewing skills this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so nice and easy and glam! Am a huge fan of cardis in all shapes and coors - wil have a look at what i can do over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the shoulder patch idea - so cute! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The suede shouldered one is my favorite! I am still shocked (and sooo jealous) about the 1$ cardigans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally want to try my hand at making heart elbow patches on a cardi. But I'm not crafty. Maybe Grace will help me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO CUTE AND CLEVER ANNA!!! I love all three but esp the heart pockets. ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this Ana. And that sequin shirt with the chambray is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this lady!! What a fun trio of cardis in your collection now! Gorge :) xx Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. great ways to upcycle your cardigans. I love the last one.. I should that with some of mine!

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely love these easy ways to refresh my cardis!! Going to do one of these for sure!
    -Annie
    (www.livesimplybyannie.com)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always say, "when in doubt, shop at H&M!" - you gotta love those $1 sales - thanks for giving me ideas on how to spruce my cardis up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all so fabulous! I definitely have my eye on a couple cardigans in my closet that need some love. Craft time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. $1 cardigans?! SO jealous. That's my own personal heaven.

    Love these ideas-- especially the sequins. You can never go wrong with sequins!

    ReplyDelete
  22. First of all...you found $1 cardigans?? I think I need to follow you around when you shop! IF, I lived near you that is ;) Love the diy ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are TOO good. The sequin and heart pockets are the cutest ever. And hello...a $1 cardi sale?! This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cool! I love the heats. -Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love #2. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I linked this post in my Fashion Friday post today...

    Thanks for the DIYs!

    danielle @ detrimentalbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. You need a pin button on the end of this post! I will be pinning when i get home! such great ideas :)
    xo,
    Amy
    itwasloveat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. #1 ans #2 are my fave! And it seems such an easy project to do!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Anna...the cutest. Love the little sparkle you added! xo PS happy weekend friend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. First of all, $1 cardigans?! That's just bananas. I really like the pockets- especially the heart idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. you kill me with your cleverness...seriously! fantastic ideas. and love the bracelets!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i feel like i need to live next door to you so you can revamp all of my clothes and make jewelry and stuff. oh and cuz youre awesome. duh

    ReplyDelete
  32. the heart pockets and your cheekbones in that last picture are KILLING me! So glam.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Um $1 cardigans??? How lucky!

    I love all three of these DIYs.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, a $1 rack! Lucky, lucky, I've never seen anything like that in my neck of the woods. Very cute -- love the sequins idea beat.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stumbled upon your blog via Pinterest. You are GORGEOUS and you have a new fan!
    www.clarabelleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my...a $1 rack of cardigans. Sounds like heaven to me. You look so stylish in those cardis, my friend. I need to do some layering. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your blog! You've got a new follower:)

    Hope you can visit my blog and follow me back if you like it :)

    http://styleglaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nice color cardigans with awesome colors scarves! if you want to look stunning this winter wear cool color
    cardigans with stylish boots!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from each of you. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! <3

 
Pin It button on image hover