8.08.2012

DIY Leather Pocket Tee


This Leather pocket tee DIY inspiration came from a Zara Tee. It only requires beginner level sewing skills - no machine needed! I plan on added a few more pockets to a dress or shirt here and there because its so simple to do and the result is really fun:)

{Wrap Bracelet: c/o Conversation Pieces, Craftsandlove, gift from sis, Jeans: Levis, Tee: Target to DIY}

Supplies:
Grey Tee (Got mine for $8 at Target) 
Leather or faux leather fabric 
(This swatch I picked up from a local interior design store - often they get rid of their old swatch books for free!)
Thread and Needle
Scissors
Pliers


Instructions:
1) Pre-shrink your tee so that you can prevent unwanted wrinkling around the pocket.
2) Pre-measure and cut your pocket shape of choice out of your leather fabric. 
(It makes it easier to cut 1/2 of the pocket, fold in half, and cut around the folded edge to finish a symmetrical pocket.)
3) Hand stitch or sew along the edge with a strong needle or leather needle and thick black thread. 

Time: 15 -30 minutes (depending if you machine sew or hand stitch)
Cost: $8

Tips for sewing with leather:
Use a pliers to pull the needle in and out or you will get blisters! If its faux leather it is a thinner fabric and easier to sew.
Check often that your pocket is lined up straight with your tee so that you prevent crooked lines. 
Using a thimble might also help when you are weaving the needle in and out.


And now for a little humor, I present to you the pony tail flip (inspired by my sister Madeline)....

gj3vmr on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs

You know, just letting my personality shine through here....;)


36 comments:

  1. Great DIY! I love these hints of leather details in pants and tees!
    ~www.Tinacious.Me~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want this so bad! I'll put one on the sleeve of my gym shirt so I can put my iPod in there. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I may actually try this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your DIY's and this one is so cute! I definitely want to try it. Love your blog, keep 'em comin'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. And you are so stinkin'
    cute, Anna!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the shirt, but also, what is that fabulous pop of rainbow color on your left wrist??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I totally did this last week, and I'm posting it too. Great minds think alike! And holla to the ponytail flip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You, my dear, are GENIUS! I'm totally making this today. Thanks for sharing your creative juices with the rest of us :]

    molly at Urban Nester
    http://alwaysamrsforeverakidd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Favorite post because of the pony flip. ;) Want to do this to my T!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Favorite post because of the pony flip. ;) Want to do this to my T!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this! can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! What a great way to dress up a simple t-shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a good idea... funny I been looking for this gap T for awhile with a sequin pocket... DER why don't I just make it myself?

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a good idea! Love that Zara tee so this is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg i LOVE this!! and your gif and personality are ADORABLE!! :)

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your DIY's are always the best!!! Love this. It's simply perfect.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so awesome! I have a whole bunch of these Target tees, but I'm kind of at my wit's end with this hot weather and wearing shorts & tees all the time. Jazzing up one of them just might help...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm loving this DIY Anna! I remember spotting the Zara look-alike but I definitely missed out on it at the time. Now I'm so excited to make a version of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anna, you are absolutely adorable! Love that hair flip :) Such a great DIY!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omg everything you do is so simple yet so cute. I love this! I can't wait to make my own gif. I am totally going to try it. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great trick for getting the leather! My grandfather had a friend who would give us his swatch books, and together we made all sorts of fun things!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you looks so cute!!
    love this one! i love easy DIYs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun DIY! And um, you are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my gosh SO cute! ps, love that moving pic at the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How stinking CUTE you are!!! I love the pocket idea i will have to try it out now:))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Easy peasy and so cool! You're so creative Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - this is so cool. Love your ponytail flip - hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so prefect and simple! I love it, I may have to update all my T-shirts now. -Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

    ReplyDelete
  29. So cute! Also, how do you make your ponytail so big?

    I keep hearing "I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth... "

    ReplyDelete
  30. How adorable is your hair swishing?! I love it. And what a great DIY! I've clipped it to my Evernote so I can make it as soon as my year of no-buying-clothing is up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This cute! I thought about doing this with a floral pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this! Super cute and love your necklaces too =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. We Create small batches of shirts for your sports team uniforms, birthday parties, or business needs. Or, for larger
      groups or events, order hundreds of shirts at a time for a great value - we handle

      design a t shirt
      print on shirts
      digital t shirt printing
      custom tee shirts
      create t shirts

      Delete

Love hearing from each of you. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! <3

 
Pin It button on image hover