1.15.2013

Fresh Start: Go Go Gronola with New Contributor!


As you all know, I think so highly of my sisters. Each have impacted me in a different way, and each of them have been given their own set of beautiful talents. When I thought about wanting to include some new topics on IHOD, I knew the next best thing to Martha Stewart was my sister Maria. She has this ability to bring life to a meal and every family gathering. My philosophy in the kitchen is usually "Just give me a recipe and I will make it." I don't have any creative juices left by the time I need to make dinner. I am sure for many of you it is the same! Maria will be offering some new ideas that will hopefully encourage you to not only try something new, but share it with loved ones. So thankful she will now be a part of the IHOD team!  (side note-how amazing is her hair?) Now I will let her take over from here...

Anna, my childhood sister-soulmate, prodded me into sharing my passion for cooking and good recipes on her blog.  Well, it didn't take much before I was thoroughly on board!

Since I can remember, I've always had a  passion for cooking. Good food is important to me. A good meal can be a catalyst in bringing people together and creating happy memories. So much of life's greatest moments are centered around a good meal: birthdays, holidays, weddings, and family dinners!

So I share My Food Philosophy: Because the effort to make good food is a gift to those around me, it's happy memories, togetherness, the living part of life.

January always fills me with great anticipation because it's a fresh new start to a new year. So with all those resolutions to exercise more, comes my resolve to feel healthy and eat well.
It's a perfect month to share my favorite healthy breakfast recipe: Go-Go Gronola! Loaded with flaxseed and coconut oil and tweeked to be the BEST homemade batch of gronala you will ever make :)

Dry Ingredients:
9 C. of Old Fashioned Oats
1 1/2 C. Ground Flaxseed (Engery Booster!)
1 C. Sliced Almonds
1/2 C. Unsalted Sunflower Seeds
2 C. Sweetened Coconut (or unsweetened if you prefer)
2 pkgs of Dried Cranberries (you could also use raisins, but I'm not a big fan)

Wet Ingredients - Warm in a Pot
3/4 C. Honey
3/4 C. Canola Oil (I substitute with Coconut Oil if I have on hand)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
 
Preheat Oven to 325 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients, EXCEPT cranberries, in large bowl. Pour warmed wet ingredients over granola. Stir until well combined. Divide granola onto two large baking  and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
Let cool, stir in dried cranberries.

Makes a good large batch that lasts for weeks. I love it in the morning with vanilla yogurt.
Store in large sealed container and enjoy!

Here's to your health and happiness in 2013!  

20 comments:

  1. yum! that looks just like the granola that my mom makes. totally delicious.
    kw Ladies in Navy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post, Maria! This granola looks so good. The perfect on-the-go breakfast, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her hair is gorgeous! And now I want some granola :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is exciting! And the granola looks wonderful :-)Lucky for me I just picked up a big bag of certified gluten-free oats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this new series...so great to include your sister :) This granola looks deeeelicious...I have never been able to make great granola, so I am looking forward to giving this a shot! XO Brynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love a good granola recipe, I've been making my own for a while now! Definitely will have to try it with coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy! Excited for her future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I was just looking for a good granola recipe - so nice to have one that's tried and true. Thanks A & M :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Love seeing your sis on here, Anna! This looks so great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUUUUM! And so happy to see another sister on here! :) How fun for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow this looks amazing and I'm loving that IHOD is a family affair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I am excited for more of your sister's food posts! We love granola in our house. I try to keep it on hand most of the time, so this recipe will definitely be added to the rotation! pinning so I don't forget! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great, natural snack! It is so great to see you and your sister together!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excited about your new food posts! And this first one looks great...I love granola...perfect for breakfast, a snack and of course for dessert with yogurt. Can we talk about her hair? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks absolutely delicious. My mom used to make granola when I was growing up and I loved it. I definitely need to try it!

    creamyclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun! I love homemade granola and can't wait to see more food posts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looked so amazing that I went to the store to buy the ingredients. I'm making it right now! Great post!

    Suzy Speaks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been making granola for a couple years now, but I decided to give this recipe a try this afternoon and I'm so glad I did! Love it! Thanks for sharing Anna & Maria!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from each of you. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! <3

 
Pin It button on image hover