2.22.2012

From My Kitchen: Birthday Surprises


{Hydrangeas courtesy of husband}
Birthdays around here are celebrated by getting to have all of your favorite foods for the day.
Gabe's birthday had to be postponed this year since it was the same day as my grandpa's funeral:(  So this weekend I got to baking. Wanted to share one of my favorite desserts with you. 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, unsalted, softened
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
Icing (optional)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Using a hand mixer, cream the butter, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract on medium speed, about 1 minute.
Add the egg, blend on medium speed for 30 seconds.
Add the dry ingredients and combine on low speed until just a few dry streaks remain.
Add the chocolate chips and hand mix with spatula.
Scrape the batter into a greased and lined 9-inch round cake pan.
Press the batter into a smooth and even layer in the pan. Bake until lightly golden and puffy around the edges (insert knife at center to make sure the middle is done), approx. 20 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edge of the pan to release the cake.
Cool before turning the cake out of the pan and onto a large plate.
I used a cake deco kit to add icing drops on the top for that birthday cake look and feel. 
Slice and eat that bad boy!
Hope you enjoy!
(recipe adapted from this original recipe)


*Kind of ironic I am posting this on the first day of Lent, as Gabe and I are giving up sweets! Sigh...

46 comments:

  1. That looks sooo tasty, and the photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I haven't had a cookie cake since I was in middle school - it sounds SO good to me right now! And beautiful flowers!

    Way to go on giving up sweets for Lent! I've done that before and it is HARD! But you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful images and a delish looking cake! Will have to make after lent;) Happy Birthday Gabe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! What a wonderful present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH totally making this! Yummmmmm. Love cookie cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Every year my parents would let us request whatever we wanted to eat for our birthday dinners. When my brother was younger he requested meat loaf. Hehe nothing says happy birthday like ground beer in rectangular form, frosted with ketchup.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birthdays look like a real treat at your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. chocolate chip cookie cake?!!! kill me now. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, YUM! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I'm sure Gabe sure enjoyed it! Happy Belated birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seem to have missed your birthday!
    It looks like you celebrated properly though :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I just read the post more thoroughly and realized it is not, in fact your birthday. I'm not a morning person...
    Happy belated to Gabe though

    and I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. i was just about to say, i'm giving up sweets for lent! Glad i'm not the only one being tortured by looking at these yummy treats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hydrangeas are one of my favourite flowers! I want to make space in my garden soon to plant this gorgeous flower. In South Africa, we also call it Christmas Roses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your pretty pictures here - the feel is just great - not to mention all the delicious goodies ... xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cookie cake looks delicious!! Now I need an excuse to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is going to be bookmarked for sure! You know how I adore anything chocolate chip! And I need a lesson in food photography. haha. I'm worse than terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM! This looks so delicious and goes so perfectly with the hydrangeas!

    Hope Gabe had a wonderful time celebrating his birthday :)

    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness looks yummy! Ah good luck on abstaining from sweets. So hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hydrangeas are one of my favourite flowers! These are lovely shots!
    Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. That cake looks amazing! And the flowers are just beautiful =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. very sorry for your grandpa!
    lovely photos

    http://anmarkdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. aw.
    everything is so yummy and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry to hear about your grandpa :(
    Lovely pictures and Yummy cookie cake!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh, I love cookie cakes!! Reminds me of being a kid :)
    And hydrangeas are my all time favorite flower...I think they are so delicate and beautiful. Looks like a wonderful birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather Anna.

    I like the feel of this whole thing. It is very classy and festive. Yummy cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! Every year Blake wants a cookie cake (it's his favorite) and his Bday is coming up in March so I'll definitely have to try this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. How marvelous and your photos are so nice too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have to remember that cake! How clever and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Seriously can't go wrong with anything chocolate chip cookie! Love the simple presentation.

    Kristina
    Nook & Sea

    ReplyDelete
  31. That looks so yummy! I bet the little man loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't wait to try this! I've been looking for a recipe for a yummy cookie cake for a while now. Love they hydrangeas too!.... sweet hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anna not only this recipe looks delicious but the pictures are so GORGEOUS!!! Love hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks amazing!! I wish I could eat this whole thing :) Good for you for giving up sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  35. yuuuummy!! And those Hydrangeas are pretty pretty, what a lovely birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy belated bday to Gabe!! Love the hydrangeas.. they are my fave and the cake looks yummy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yum! what a lucky boy. Happy birthday to your baby boy...well former baby I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That looks so delicious! You are a better woman than I giving up sweets!! And I love, love your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from each of you. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! <3

 
Pin It button on image hover