1.31.2012

From My Kitchen: Lasagna Soup

A few years ago, some dear family friends had Gabe and I over for dinner, and Lasgna Soup was on the  menu. It immediately became a favorite, and I have made it faithfully ever since. It actually doesn't taste like lasagna, but it is mouthwateringly delicious. I usually cook this for friends who have just had a baby because it makes a good amount and is almost even better as leftovers. 
This dish is great for every age too...my son usually asks for "more please mama" when I make this:) I have since lost the printed recipe so this is an adapted version. I am more of a see and taste cook. I don't go by specific amounts so forgive me for the loose recipe...
I am basing the amounts off of a larger pot. I grew up with 10 brothers and sisters so I always cook for more:) You can minimize the amount of pasta, broth, and basil as needed.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground sausage
1-2 onions (based on preference)
1-2 Cloves minced garlic
6 cups chicken broth 
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) Italian style tomatoes
4 Tbls. fresh basil
1/4-1/2 c. parmesan (fresh grated is a plus)
1 cup fresh mozzarella - grated or cubed
1/2 lb - 1 lb pasta 
2 c. fresh chopped spinach (optional) 
(I actually completely forgot to add this to this batch as you can see in the picture, but usually do because it is a great way to sneak in those vegetables to the little ones;)

(I used about a pound of Cavatappi. Malfalda is another great one. For some reason, pasta shapes can add so much life to the meal...)
Cooking steps:
Have everything chopped so its ready to add as needed.
-Brown the sausage on the bottom of a stew pot. 
-Add in Garlic and Onion and saute till onions are soft.
-Add in the fresh basil and salt and pepper if desired. (Depends on what meat you have.)
-Add the Chicken broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. (Medium heat should do.)
-Add in your pasta and watch closely. 
(Its key to not overcook the noodles. I take it off the burner right before thoroughly cooked as it continues to soak the soup a few minutes after. I learned this after a couple batches of giant over cooked noodles in my soup.)
-Add in parmesan and chopped spinach
-Serve in bowls and top with fresh mozarella and additional fresh basil if desired.
-Enjoy with a glass of wine and Italian Bread.

This is what I call comfort food. Its best in the cold winter months:)
I hope you enjoy! 
If you have any questions, let me know!

56 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Hopefully the weather will cool off a bit (today is supposed to be in the 70s?!) so I can add this to our meal plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks so hearty and delish. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be on my comfort list too, it looks good! And I always like dishes that provide leftovers for the week. I wish I could get away with "a little dash of this, and some of that"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! I love lasagna! Will have to try this for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect for these cold Dutch nights. Thanks Anna!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing and comforting for sure. Thanks for sharing Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy...okay, kind of makes me wish that I lived closer and we were best buddies and I just had a baby, so that you could make this for me. haha...

    WOW! 10 brothers and sisters? I bet your house was not without a dull moment. :)

    Have a happy day!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks truly scrumptious! Perfect for a chilly night. -JB.

    http://madewithlovebyjackieb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! Just printed and in my folder of recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds so good! I might have to give it a try with some gf noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hubs LOVES lasagna, and I think he's going to love this soup version just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are adorable and this lasagna soup sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe looks great! Pasta and tomatoes are definitely staples in our house, especially this time of year. I think I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so good! We love soups and my husband loves everything Italian! you are such a cute mama cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderful! Too bad I burned my husband out on soup for awhile...we've had a lot this winter since I was so sick. Maybe by March we will be back in business for some soup!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This does this wonderfully warming. Your new Mum relatives/friends are lucky to have such a thoughtful gesture- I think a food present is a godsent.

    ReplyDelete
  17. taste as you go are the best recipes! it's really warm here today (70's!!) but i'll bookmark this to try on a cooler day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks delicious Anna, we cook mainly italian, so i must try this! Your pix came out beautiful. Food styling isn't easy - and you did a great job here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yum, that does sound good! will have to copy this one down.

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM! This looks amazing :) I'll have to try this soon!

    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. That looks amazing.
    2. Where did you get your belt? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anna! That looks DI-vine! Just copied this one down - gonna make it this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks amazing and perfect for this time of year! Also love the action shots!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so yummy! And you are looking so skinny my dear! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks amazing and yummy....


    xxx
    CEO

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my that looks soo good. So excited to try it soon.

    Tab
    my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks so good! Definitely going to try it!
    Thanks for sharing and I have to say...you are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Never heard of such thing as Lasagna Soup, but oh my, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oooh, will definitely have to give this a try! thanks for sharing Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yum, reminds me of the way my family makes pasta fagioli (adding cannelloni beans of course).
    P.S. Hello friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anna this is such a great presentation and recipe. I love how you included yourself in the kitchen, something that I would love to eventually do but my kitchen is in need of a face lift. I am just dropping in to catch up on your posts and I am looking forward to the 6th of February for the pay it forward post. I have a couple of good ideas. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yummy! Look good. I love the design of your blog! You must have hired great graphic designer to do it! ;) seriously though I can tell you are a designer and it looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh my gosh this sounds (and looks!) amazingg!! I think this is a must try for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. this looks soooo yummy! I actually made homemade lasagna tonight... but this looks sooo perfect for a cold weeknight!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds amazing! I love soup... and lasagna. Totally making this soon!

    Libbie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sounds and looks delicious! Love the way you put this post together, Anna!x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Know this is off focus, but I love that little cardi!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I sure wish I could've been near Dana when she made this last night, thanks to you!! mmm mmm mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  39. this looks amazing! i think my grandmother used to make something similar to this when we were kids! it was so so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This looks super yummy Anna! I definitely want to try this recipe with gluten-free shell noodles ...looks so delicious :) Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks like the perfect comfort food that I've been searching for!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks delicious Anna! Thanks for the recipe. I love how you put these together! Beautiful post =)

    ReplyDelete
  43. lasagna soup?! get out! who do you think named it that if it doesn't taste like it? haha
    i am definitely going to have to try this. thanks for sharing anna!
    xo!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  44. this looks amazing anna! i definitely need to try this asap. p.s. i wear my headband from you ALL the time and i always get compliments on it! i know you aren't really selling stuff right now but if you have any headbands left, i will totally buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I know this isn't an outfit post, but I'm crushing on your mint cardigan. So fresh and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This sounds so delish! So perfect for the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm definitely going to have to try this!

    - Sara @ Gameday Stylist

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from each of you. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! <3

 
Pin It button on image hover