3.29.2010

Meet the Blogger: Down and Out Chic!





In 5 words describe Down and Out Chic:) 


intense, hardworking, thoughtful, flighty (sometimes I let those "thoughtful" thoughts get in the way of what I'm supposed to be doing), guarded.

What do you love most about being an artist/blogger?
Both my blog and my shop serve as creative outlets to get out energy that might otherwise threaten to make me feel anxious or restless.  I always get a kick out of interacting with readers because it's still a surprise to me that people read the blog and actually come to see more.  I don't mean that in a self-gradating sense, I simply mean that the blog is like a visual diary for me and it's nice to see other people concur with the things I find inspirational and interesting.  I have an education in visual art but have left behind my former pretentious sense of what is artistic to embrace all things well designed and visually appealing. 


Tell us a little about how you got started ...and where you want your blog/business to be in a year!
I started the blog out of boredom and because I was tired of clicking on links to items I couldn't afford.  I started the shop because I wanted to see if I had the tenacity to do it and be successful.  Both of these things came out of a deep longing to get in touch with my creative self and to, more importantly, express it!   In a year, I'd like to simply keep doing what makes me happy. My hope for the blog is that it remains a place that's relevant and honest.  For the shop, I'd like to keep pushing what makes D&OC unique and become more involved in my local crafting community. 






Where do you go for creative inspiration? 
Creative inspiration is everywhere and sometimes I feel so visually over-saturated that I have to take a step back and really think about my preferences for fear of getting lost in group think (and this CAN happen with blogs too).   Music helps me when I work and I've been listening to a lot of Devotchka and Neko Case.  Some of my current favorite design blogs are:  mustard & sage, Making it Lovely, and You are My Fave.  I think darling darling has an adorable sense of style and drollgirl consistently makes me laugh and laughter always helps the creative juices.

Just for fun...do you have a secret closet obsession??

Whiskey and ginger but I'm not so sure that's a secret :) 


Thank you Christina for the interview! Make sure and keep up with this fabulous chica! 


28 comments:

  1. She has beautiful things in her shop!
    Great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there -- sooo glad I found your blog!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a huge fan of down and out chic blog and her beautiful shop! =) Great interview of this talented chica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. alrighty, i adore her already!!! can't wait to go check out all of her fantastic-ness! happy monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, i so totally have been in love with her etsy shop for awhile! i just realized it's the same shop i've stalked. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always so inspiring seeing how these wonderful bloggers get it started and are doing so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna, great interview with the very talented Christina!! I love so many of her pieces. Thank you for the feature.

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Giveaway is up on my site, come join in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that necklace! gorgeous gorgeous stuff, anna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whiskey and ginger!! Mixed together ? ;) I enjoy getting to know fellow bloggers and crafters, thanks for sharing.

    Hope you had a fantastic weekend, darling, and that your week is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. christina is the best! she has fabulous taste, she is a sweetie, and her blog is a must read. get to her shop soon, too, before i buy everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful feature! so nice to get to know a fellow blogger better :) thank you for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love her etsy shop items!! how fun to get to know the artist a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm your newest fan, just off to have a peck at your etsy shop now

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music saves the soul and helps me work too :)

    http://www.thebangpop.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely interview...now i have must go check out her shop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christina is the best - one of my favorite people in the entire blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love her already, and now I know so much more about her - exciting! great series!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, so fun to see Christina featured here! Love this girl! (the hubs and I listen to a lot of Devotchka and Neko Case too)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the words she described herself as- hardworking is totally right!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great interview! She has lovely stuff. thanks for introducing me to her work.

    Have added your link to my blogroll. Love revisiting your blog over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely adore that girl! She rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love this interview and i love that blog! super great post princess!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Christina's blog is super!! and so is she!!! what a fabulous interview!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I vouch. Christina is talented and a cutie, too.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from each of you. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! <3

 
Pin It button on image hover