6.14.2012

DIY: Leather ipad case or clutch


I have been searching high and low for the perfect yellow clutch for summer, and when I was at the fabric store, I found the exact color I would dream it should be. With a half yard of leatherette fabric, I made it a size that would also work as an ipad case. I hope you can use this DIY and customize it to the color you like, and maybe even gift one to a friend:)



Materials:
1/4-1/2 yard of leather or faux leather (mine cost $7)
Matching thread & Needle
Magnetic snap (found mine at Hobby Lobby)
Super glue or glue gun

Instructions: 
1) If you are making an ipad case, it would be best to make sure your measurements are an inch wider on all sides. (I cut my fabric approx. 12 inches wide and measured the length 18 inches long total to fold in half + 5 inches for the flap.) Cut your shape, and use a ruler to make sure your flap will fold over half way.
2) Hand stitch or sew along both sides of your piece and trip anywhere necessary.
3) Cut small slits where you would like to insert your magnetic snap fasteners on clutch and underneath flap. I cut a small triangle to insert top clasp and glued to the top flap so there would be no prongs showing on the front. 
4) Insert your magnetic clasps and fold down prongs with pliers.


It actually took about 25 minutes to make this DIY ipad case & clutch I will be using all summer long:) Please let me know if you have any questions!

*arrow brushes via Creature Comforts

31 comments:

  1. i love this!! looks so easy but so cute!! i want to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute and simple. Love the color!

    -Amy
    http://theblankpagesblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!
    And something I can totally handle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an easy, fun, and functional DIY! Lovely job!
    Erin @ Thanks, I Made It

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable! I love a simple diy that has huge impact. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love it and I'm totally going to be making one as soon as I can get to the fabric store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! How much does the fabric cost?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an awesome project!! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the best DIY projects out of all the blogs I read (and I read A LOT)! I think you need a book deal!

    ♥Abbey
    Along Abbey Road

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rockstar! Such a rad project - quick, easy, and affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Love the color!

    xx Amy

    www.LeopardandLillies.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely clutch idea, and so simple. I love this color... Could easily do a clutch or two like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so cool in bright yellow! Happy weekend Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg anna this is perfect, just what i need too!! i been looking for a cute one but dont wnt to spend the money..Im going to have to try to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make my jaw drop w/ every one of your DIYs! I can only hope to get my DIYs on your level, girl.

    I love this & will probably make it too!

    Cheers:).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is fabulous! I will use it for a purse this summer

    adoredlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love!! The yellow is SUCH a great color. Great idea, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome DIY project! Can't wait to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't wait to try this out for a clutch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you are genius! need to try this! If only I knew how to sew...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the color and love how easy it is to make. Thanks for a great tutorial!

    http://www.cremedelacraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is perfect! im going to make one to match me homecoming dress! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adorable! I really like a easy diy that has large effect.

    ipad case design

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from each of you. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! <3

 
Pin It button on image hover